Late 19th Century Gillows of Lancaster Mahogany and Upholstered Library Chair
A late 19th century Gillows of Lancaster mahogany and upholstered library arm chair, the swept top and arms over square tapering legs terminating in brass feet and casters, makers stamp and numbered to the back leg
Condition good, commensurate with age and anticipated wear
Size 70 cm W x 93 cm H x 65 D
Stock number 3273
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772)
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.