Gillows George IV mahogany and burr walnut compactum
A fine mahogany compactum by Gillows of Lancaster and London, dating to about 1820 in the George IV period. It has four draws each side of two paneled doors which are finished in burr walnut. The interior is fitted with linen slides. The item is signed Gillows.
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772)
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas. In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.
Size; 61 cm deep x 215 wide x 116 high.
Price; £ 4,400