Gillows – A Late Victorian Mahogany Open Bookcase Cabinet
Gillows – A late Victorian mahogany inlaid low open bookcase cabinet, of shaped outline, banded in satinwood bordered with boxwood and ebonised lines, having central open shelves flanked by an enclosed concave fronted cupboard to either side, decorated with oval lines, on square tapered legs, terminating in spade feet. Signed Gillows 16748
Condition good, commensurate with age and anticipated wear
Size; 40 cm Deep x 99.5 cm wide, 85.5 cm high .
Stock number 3143
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772)
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.