Gillows A Set of Six Regency Rosewood Dining Chairs With Carved Cresting Rails
A set of six rosewood dining chairs firmly attributed to Gillows, upholstered and with reeded tapered leg, fine carved details.
Condition good, commensurate with age and anticipated wear
Dimentions 51cm Wide x 51cm Deep x 86cm High
Stock number 3474
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772)
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.