Edwardian mahogany and chequer inlaid swing frame cheval mirror
An Edwardian mahogany and chequer inlaid swing frame cheval mirror:, the rectangular inset bevelled plate with a moulded cornice, flanked by tapered uprights with brass urn finials, on dual splayed end supports, terminating in brass cappings and castors. Made and sold by Mapel & Co.
Size; 74 cm D x 71 W x 175 H
Price, £ 2,700
It was founded by John Maple in the early 19th century. It was later run by John Blundel Maple, 1st Baronet. Maple became one of the prime makers and suppliers of furniture to the aristocracy and royalty in the United Kingdom. One of the houses that was furnished with Maple is York Cottage.
In 1889, Maple & Co occupied the block surrounded by Tottenham Court Road and Euston Road. One of the suppliers that produced bedroom and dining cabinets for Maple was Gillow of Lancaster and London.
After the end of World War II and the change in tastes and the cost manufacturing factors, the decline started. In 1980 the furniture maker Waring and Gillow joined with Maple & Co., to become Maple, Waring & Gillow. It subsequently became part of Allied Maples Group Ltd.