An Exceptional Set of Eleven George IV Rosewood Dining Chairs by Gillows
An exceptional set of elevan George IV rosewood dining chairs a set of eight plus three similar, heavily carved back rails, by Gillows of Lancaster. One of the chair rails is stamped on the underside with the word eight, presumably the number of chairs being made and the initials GT. A set of chairs was delivered to Tatton Hall in Cheshire with GT stamped to the underside of one of the chair rails and were supplied by Gillows.
Condition good, commensurate with age and anticipated wear
Stock number 3215
Dimentions 48cm Wide x 54cm Deep x 85cm High
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772)
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.