An Edwardian Writing or Side Table by Maple and Co.
An Edwardian mahogany inlaid writing or side table by Maple and co
Condition good, commensurate with age and anticipated wear
Dimentions 8cm Long x 46cm Deep x 75cm High
Stock number 3053
Maple & Co. was a British furniture maker at 141-150 Tottenham Court Road in London, which was especially successful during the Victorian and Edwardian era.
It was founded by John Maple in the early 19th century. It was later run by John Blundell Maple, 1st Baronet. Maple became one of the prime makers and suppliers of furniture to the aristocracy and royalty in the United Kingdom. One of the houses that was furnished with Maple is York Cottage.
In 1889, Maple & Co occupied the block surrounded by Tottenham Court Road, Euston Road, Gower Street and Grafton Street. One of the suppliers that produced bedroom and dining cabinets for Maple was Harris Lebus.
After the end of World War II and the change in tastes and the cost manufacturing factors, the decline started. In 1980 the furniture maker Waring & Gillow joined with Maple & Co., to become Maple, Waring & Gillow. It subsequently became part of Allied Maples Group Ltd.